Monday, October 1, 2012

Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases

A question we often get asked is if I only employ casual labour, do I have to be registered for COID (Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases)? The answer is yes you do, when people are in your employ, you are responsible for them.

The Department of Labour website informs us that the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act applies to all employers; and casual and full-time workers who, as a result of a workplace accident or work-related disease:
  • are injured, disabled, or killed; 
  • or become ill.
This excludes -
  • workers who are totally or partially disabled for less than 3 days;
  • domestic workers;
  • anyone receiving military training;
  • members of  the South African National Defence Force, or the South African Police Service;
  • any worker guilty of wilful misconduct, unless they are seriously disabled or killed;
  • anyone employed outside the RSA for 12 or more continuous months; and
  • workers working mainly outside the RSA and only temporarily employed in the RSA.
Ernest Roper
Membership Services Manager


1 comment:

Unknown said...


Just checking if there are Health and Safety consultants jobs in South Africa.I am an IOSH Tech member in the UK.I completed my Health,Safety and Welfare at Work Certificate at University College Dublin at FETAC LEVEL 7.I also completed the CITY & GUILDS 7302 CERTIFICATE IN DELIVERING LEARNING.Looking forward to hear from you. Thank you
Patrick. Maphoso